Music Production and Recording Lab
Music Production with Logic Pro X
- Expand your creative horizons by merging traditional music skills with professional-level production technology.
- Nearly all professional music production is done using Digital Audio Workstations like Logic Pro X. Understanding how to record and mix music digitally is an essential skill for modern musicians and can open an array of opportunities to express yourself or build a career in music.
- In this class, students will get personal instruction and hands-on experience using Logic Pro X and production hardware, learning how to use their own instruments alongside samples and synthesizers in order to compose, record, and mix songs in a variety of styles. This introductory class will empower students with a strong technical foundation and creative mindset to continue to develop their production skills, preparing them to work and thrieve in the modern music studio.
1. Recording your instrument/voice and using MIDI controllers to create sounds and beats, you will learn to layer and manipulate your ideas for a myriad of purposes.
2. You can create backing tracks:
- To accompany live performances
- Create songs to sing over
- Create instrumental pieces for performances
- Place in a digital library for TV
3. The integration of interests and skills can include:
- Podcasting (interviews, news, storytelling, etc.)
- Sound Engineering (mixing and mastering)
- Voice-over projects
- Audio book Recording
Who Should Sign Up?
Anyone 9th grade through adult who is interested in learning to use professional-level production tools. These skills and software can be used to write and produce your own music, track and mix an album, produce beats, record and edit podcasts or audiobooks, or create cinematic sound design.
What you will learn in the first 8 weeks:
- How to navigate and troubleshoot Logic Pro
- Setting up and using MIDI controllers
- Recording live instruments and vocals
- Editing and arranging audio and MIDI files
- Mixing and applying effects with plugins
- Using Apple Loops and Logic Drummer
- Writing and producing a song from start to finish
- Proficiency in instrument or voice is not a requirement but expands options
- Computer competence
- Basic music theory helps but is not required
- Passion and a good ear for music
Introductory Course: 8 weekly sessions/90 minutes each. 2-3 hours weekly of additional individual lab time
Total Training and Lab Time: 36 hours
Start Date: Monday's September 20 - November 8, 2021 5pm or 7pm
Instructor: Conner Tomlinson
Conner Tomlinson is a producer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist from Chatham County. He has been working with Logic Pro for almost 10 years, producing and collaborating with local artists across a variety of contemporary styles. Conner plays a variety of instuments and currently fronts an experimental rock band but has found his real skill and passion behind the scenes as an engineer, producer, and composer.
Call Debra at 919-556-6151 if you would like to sign up for the Music Production and Recording Lab class.
High School, Adult